Wednesday, June 20, 2007

‘BJP now knows who is facing brunt of Abbakka’s curse’

CT Interview
MANGALORE: This youth who was seen running around in Ullal till recently, helping those in need, is now the legislator of the constituency. He has all the qualities of a good leader and has already made efforts to improve the communal amity in Ullal. He by visiting religious shrines of all faiths, no sooner he won the elections, has sent the message of peace to the masses. The Canara Time spoke to Ullal’s new legislator UT Khader recently.
Excerpts from the interview
g As the polling percentage was less, did you have any fear about the results?
I had no such fears as I strongly believed that I had the blessings of people of all castes, creeds and religions. Accordingly I have won. But what hurt me the most was the denial of voting rights in the last minute, to people having temporary ration cards. Had the authorities mentioned about this earlier, some alternate arrangements could have been made. Nearly 4000 people were deprived of their voting rights for not possessing voters’ identity cards. In some cases, names were omitted owing to neglect of authorities. Had all these discrepancies been cleared, then my victory margin would have increased by 4000.
g What was the strategy that helped you register a convincing win?
BJP people had resorted to malicious propaganda against the Congress and against me personally. But we without bothering about it had resorted to campaigning peacefully. We explained to voters the evil intentions of the JD(S) and the incidents that took place after the BJP came to power in the state. Apart from this, we had no other vote winning strategy.
Were the votes polled in your favour, the votes for the party or for you personally?
May be both.
g What do you have to say about the sympathy wave, cash distribution etc?
People who have lost have to cite some reason for their failure, and it is owing to this that they have several complaints to make. MLC Shobha Karandlaje had said that the Congress party had the curse of Rani Abbakka. Now, the BJP people might be very much aware as to who has been cursed by Abbakka.
g What do you have to say about the poor show of the JD(S)candidate?
The JD(S) candidate giving a poor show despite the Chief Minister himself campaigning for the party for five to six days is a shame on the candidate as well as the party. The voters did not fall prey to the trap laid by these parties. Nor did they heed to malicious propaganda. The voters here only considered the service of the candidates as post or individuals did not matter to them. Let the JD(S) leaders and chief minister understand this.
You are every well aware of the problems of the constituency? What would be your top priority?
Ullal is reeling under sea-erosion. The problem cannot be solved merely with the help of the legislator’s funds. It needs central grants too. Along with it the cooperation and assistance of the state government too is essential. As a legislator I will try my level best. In order to solve drinking water problem, I will strive to secure water to Ullal from Tumbay. Efforts would also be made to open a college in Ullal.
g Is this your assurance?
No, I will not give any new assurance. Several projects initiated and promises given during my father’s tenure have remained unfulfilled. I will try to implement the same first.
Injustice has been done to several during the Ullal riots. Will you strive to secure justice?
We would pressurize the government to make public the reports of the Agarwal committee and the CoD investigation ordered by the government.
g What about the allegation that you had come in way of development of panchayats ruled by non-Congress parties?
Such an allegation is baseless. The people of the constituency can contact me at any time with regard to any problem; I will try my level best within my capacity to solve the same. There is also an allegation that the coalition government has been biased while releasing funds for Ullal? Is this right? Will people who have hurled allegations against me answer?
g JD(S) Leader Vasanth Bangera who campaigned for you and other leaders have demanded the resignation of the district minister Nagaraj Shetty? Will you too demand his resignation?
The voters have given their verdict in my favour. It is enough if the district minister understands this fact. There is no need for me to separately demand for his resignation owning moral responsibility?
g The BJP candidate has charged you of cash distribution?
It is natural for such allegations to come after defeat. The voters love me and have identified my service and have even understood me. That is enough for me. Even prior to the elections several tried to tarnish my image. The voters themselves have answered them.
g Is it that some Congressmen themselves had tried to defeat you?
I am not aware of this nor have I bothered much about it All this is common in politics. Thousands of party men and leaders are behind me. It has elevated my spirits.
g The Congress secured fewer votes in areas of MCC limits though majority of the corporators are from Congress. Is this a reflector of the unsatisfactory works?
We cannot say that there has been no developmental work. Probably the votes for the Congress were less as the developmental works were not up to the mark or as expected.

No comments: